When preparing a new Windows Server 2012 R2 system for a new ConfigMgr 2012 R2 site, I ran into an error installing the Windows ADK. In this case it is version 10; however, I believe the same scenario would apply to 8.1 Update, 8.1, 8, etc.
The installation appears to be working, then performs a rollback with the following error:
Image path is [\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\wimmount.sys
Could not acquire privileges; GLE=0x514
Returning status 0x514
Solution / Workaround
What eventually worked around the problem was to run the installation as the SYSTEM account.
Getting to the workaround
Multiple other solutions were attempted before resorting to the SYSTEM account for installation including
- Run as Administrator
- Run a Command Prompt as Administrator then run ‘ADKsetup.exe‘
- multiple system reboots
- manually creating the folder structure and file
- manually running the ‘Windows Deployment Tools-x86_en-us.msi‘. Strangely this succeeded; however, when re-running the ADKsetup.exe, the same failure occurred.
- manually running the ‘Windows System Image Manager on amd64-x86_en-us.msi‘. Strangely this succeeded; however, when re-running the ADKsetup.exe, the same failure occurred.
- both the system drive (Drive C:) and a data drive (E:) were attempted
- disabling the antivirus / antimalware software (Sophos)
None of these made any difference.
Several forum posts were found with a resolution pointing to a blog that has since been taken down. That solution required removing the computer from the domain. This solution was not attempted.
Executing the workaround
There are a few ways to gain SYSTEM account access; however, I took the interactive route and used PSEXEC from Sysinternals.
From an elevated Command Prompt (Run as Administrator), run ‘PSEXEC.exe -s -d -i cmd.exe‘
A new Command Prompt will be generated. run ‘whoami‘ to ensure you are running as SYSTEM, then run ‘adksetup.exe‘
Thanks to Adam for working through the issue with me.
Chad August 17, 2015
Posted In: Uncategorized